Those with open work permits are free to accept employment offers from any company or organization in their host country. A foreign national already in Canada can apply for a Canada open work permit. Employers in the erotica industry (such as those who offer escort services, erotic massages, and stripteases) are not eligible for open work permits.
Procedures for Obtaining a Work Permit in Canada
Any foreign national can apply for a work permit in Canada so long as they meet the requirements. If you meet these requirements, you may apply for a work permit that is open to all employers in Canada.
- A valid work or student visa is required.
- If you have applied for protection as a refugee,
- For those who have been designated as convention refugees or protected persons by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
- If you are a trader, investor, professional, or intra-company transferee, you may be eligible for an open work permit in Canada under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
- You need to have at least six months left on your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
- You need a work or study permit to sponsor your parents, spouse, or common-law partner.
- If you’ve applied for permanent residence in Canada but haven’t heard back yet,
- You can legally find work in Canada without a visa, but you’d rather apply for something completely different.
- Those who are still in possession of a valid study permit and who otherwise qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada (PGWP),
Request for a free entry permit at the port of entry
There is still time to apply for a work visa, even if you haven’t done so in your home country. Not all non-citizens can take advantage of this chance. A Canadian open work permit can be applied for only by U.S. citizens at Canada’s international airports. You also need to meet the requirements to enter Canada without a visitor visa or to use an electronic travel authorization.
Open work permits in Canada: categories and stipulations
There are two types of open work permits:
restricted and unrestricted.
Work Permits With Open Restrictions
In order to apply for certain jobs, you’ll need a work permit. Furthermore, the geographic scope of an international candidate’s job search is restricted by the terms of this work permit.
Freedom of employment visas with no stipulations
Foreign nationals are free to apply for any position, in any part of Canada, with the open work permit. With this permit, non-Canadian citizens are free to seek employment in any industry, at any company, in any part of the country.
The cost of processing active work permits
Those are the fees you’re legally obligated to pay.
- Cost of Opening a Work Permit: $155
- One Hundred Dollars for Open Work Permit Holders
Time Required for Processing Open work permits in Canada typically take between 4 and 5 months to process. Despite this, CIC’s processing time for open work permits has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 epidemic, leading to abnormal processing of applications.
Permit to Work Openly for Spouse
Canada The Canadian government offers a program called the Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) to spouses and dependent children of people who are only in Canada temporarily for purposes of study or work.
The first step in applying for a Spousal Openwork Permit is figuring out if you qualify. If you meet the requirements, it will explain what those are.
- spouse of a skilled worker authorized to work in Canada for NOC skill types 0, A, or B who has been in Canada for at least 6 months.
- Spouses of international students in Quebec must be enrolled full-time at a public postsecondary institution or at the College of General and Professional Education of Quebec.
- Anyone in a National Occupational Classification (NOC) code of 0 through NOC code of C who has a spouse who is applying for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
Canadian expansion of your SOWP
If the expiration date on your current work permit hasn’t yet passed, you can simply apply for an open permit extension. Your passport’s expiration date must be at least six months in the future. Your new work permit has an expiration date that must be later than your passport’s expiration date.
Allow open sponsorship of spouses
Spend $1,050 on sponsorship for a spouse or common-law partner. The average time for this to happen is 12 months. After an application is submitted, the sponsoring spouse is sometimes required to submit to biometric testing. Before you can “sponsor” your spouse, you’ll need to fill out an application.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old is required.
- If you are an Indian citizen and have been recognized as such in Canada, you are eligible to apply. You need to be a permanent resident to qualify for open sponsorship.
- Proof of intent to permanently reside in Canada after one’s spouse has been granted permanent resident status is also required of Canadian citizens currently residing outside of Canada.
- Possess sufficient resources to meet your spouse’s essential needs
- To qualify, you must show that you are not receiving any form of government assistance. People with disabilities are exempt from this rule.
Bridge Open Work Permit (BOWP).
Through the Bridge Open Work Permit program, foreign nationals employed by Canadian companies are able to legally work in Canada. This will allow them to remain in the country while their permanent residency application is being processed. Bridge work permits in Canada are only available to foreign nationals who already have a job offer in Canada.
Your Bridging Open Work Permit application’s processing time will vary based on the method you use to submit it. Your online BOWP application will be processed in about 60 days. This amounts to roughly two months. If you applied for BOWP on paper, it will take 100 days to process your request.
The open work permit for Bridging will expire after one year. By now, you should have heard back regarding your request for permanent residency. An express entry bridging work permit will allow you to keep your job while you wait for your permanent residence (Economic class) application to be processed, which could take up to four months.
Possibility for PGWP spouses to obtain work visas
To help you get a work permit, your spouse’s Post-Graduation Work Permit can be used as evidence. Both your and your spouse’s work permits will expire at the same time.
Work Permit Application Forms for Spouses
Spouse open work permits usually take between 4 and 5 months to process. Make sure your relationship proof is complete and valid to prevent your spouse’s open work permit from being denied. In order to apply for a work permit, your husband or wife will need a copy of the PGWP.
open work authorization for your spouse
- Latest pay stubs
- Letter of employment sponsorship for your spouse. To prove that your spouse has a job in NOC 0 or NOC 1A or NOC 1B, you can use this letter as well.
A letter of explanation (or just explanation letter) is another name for an explanation letter. Foreign nationals frequently write this letter when applying for a study permit extension or a work permit after graduation. Canada’s Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship programs are the focus of LOE.
In the letter of explanation for your spouse’s open work permit, you should include a personal statement about yourself and your relationship with your spouse. Your personal details (name, age, education, credentials, work history, etc.) will open the explanation letter. You’ll need to specify why you’re traveling to Canada. Your spouse’s current immigration status and anticipated arrival date in Canada should be included in the letter as well.
If you plan to work as a live-in caregiver in Canada, you will need to obtain a work permit valid for at least two years. There’s also the matter of having put in at least 3,900 hours of work (or two years) within the last four years.